Oh, before I forget, she's a natural too. This was just a bonus for me and I contacted her and she thankfully agreed to be featured on Fola's Oasis.
- Please introduce yourself! What do you do?
My name is Modé and I’m an artist. I write, paint and take photographs.
- Why did u decide to go or stay natural, and how long have you been natural for?
I did the big chop summer of 2009. The reason I cut my hair was because my hair broke due to relaxers, then I thought what was the point of putting relaxers that eventually break my hair. It was a vicious psychological cycle that needed to be stopped.
- What’s your hair type, your regimen and staple hair products?
I don’t know about hair types, but I can say my hair is very fine and delicate. I use A’Kin hair products. I wash my hair once a week and deep condition once every two weeks.
- Please share a few tips and tricks for retaining length?
Protective styling has really helped retain my hair. Also pH balanced hair products were vital to my hair being healthy.
- What reactions did u get when u first went natural and/or what reactions do u get now?
Mixed reactions. But a lot of the times there are bad. People telling me to relax my hair or put it in a weave. It hurts and I get irritated but I keep moving.
- How do you wear your hair to work or formal occasions?
I do a lot of flat twists.
- What’s the best thing about going natural and what advice do you have for other wanna-be naturals out there?
- Where can one find and follow u on the web?
PS: You may find and order many more of her works on her blog, (she ships internationally as well) and her works are exhibited at Terra Kulture and Cafe Tranche by Araba in Lagos.
Hope you are having a blessed week peeps!